Saturday, March 17, 2007

I look out my window and see Time Square

So, my first day in New York has been totally crazy. We arrived in the airport at 5:30 this morning and then took the taxi into the city (By the way, I love Jet Blue: lots of leg room, exceptional in flight snacks and TElEVISION) It snowed five inches last night so the six block walk from the subway station to the hotel was very cold and wet. When we got to the Marriot our rooms weren't ready so we had to change out of our traveling clothes and brush our teeth in the hotel lobby bathroom. We went to breakfast that the Europa Cafe where I ordered a mediocre breakfast sandwich, but there were a ton of New Yorkers there, so the atmosphere was fun. After breakfast, me and my friend Skyler decided to make the most of our morning and took the subway up to the Museum of Modern Art. This is really an amazing museum. I saw peices of art that I have been in love with forever (Van Gogh's Starry Night and Monet's Waterlillies) and fell in love with new peices ( Van Gough's Portrait of Joseph Roulin.

After the visit to the museum we were all pretty tired and attempted to catch the subway back to our hotel. Unfortunaty, the St. Patrick's Day Parade was going on(for like five hours) and it took us an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to get back to subway station, because we couldn't cross through the parade.
But all ended well and we found our way.

I just waited in line for an hour for tickets to Phantom of the Opera. Though this may seem like a pretty cliche musical to go see whilst in New York, I have good reason to go see it. Ever since I was a little girl I loved this musical and to this day have never seen it. But tonight I am this will be rectified.

That is my trip so far. I'm going to go take a nap before the show.

7 comments:

Veronica said...

I look out my window and see Lon's Cookin' Shack. You are so lucky you're so close to TRL!

Sam said...

Go to Lombardi's – 32 Spring St. [in SoHo] It is the best pizza place in Manhattan. Get the Margarita pizza. There is also a good rice pudding place across the street called "From Rice to Riches" not to be confused with Provo's Pudding on the Rice.

meredith said...

Marcilyn, when I went to the Met there was an exhibit there that was a collection of Van Gogh's drawings. It was one of the most amazing things I have seen. I don't know how long exhibits stay but just thought I would suggest a visit for that reason.

BirdieMann said...

I hope you love the Phantom! I saw it three times when I was a kid and, at least through those eyes, still think its the best ever. Love ya =)

hanner said...

I've never been further east in the US than Colorado, so I have no advice for you. Think east coast thoughts for me.

Veronica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Veronica said...

At first I thought Hannah was making fun of me. Then I remembered how I went to North Carolina last summer. So I guess now I'm making fun of Hannah.