Friday, March 30, 2007

15 more minutes

After visiting ground zero, we took the subway back up to the Rockefeller Center to check in with the pages from the Conan O'Brien show. They told us we had to come back in half an hour to find out if they were going to have room for us. During this half hour we stopped into the Godiva chocolates store attached to Rockefeller Center. I ordered a creme brulee chocolate and a french vanilla truffle. Then we listened in on a tour that a group of high school students were taking of the Rockefeller Center. We learned about the art deco murals that are on the ceiling of the ground floor and how they represent art and industry meeting. Originally Diego Rivera was supposed to paint the murals but was fired after painting a picture of Russia's May Day with an image of Lenin. Apparently, the Rockefellers were not fond of Communism, being the leading industrialists in the world. Anyways, I digress. We got back in line for the Conan O'Brien show and had to wait till fifteen minutes before the show started to find out if there was room for us. We were some of the last people they took in. There were twenty people behind us who didn't get in. I was so excited when I found out we were going to get to watch the show. I went into this daze and everything after that felt totally surreal. I know this word is overused but I really mean it. surreal. Raymond the Preparation H guy came out and prepped the crowd (of course he wasn't dressed as the Preparation H guy, with the donkey ears and stuff). Then Conan talked to the crowd before the show started. He is even more funny in person. I love love him. The guests were Tom Arnold and that guy Dwight from the office. After the show, Conan sang his end of the show song and then we had to leave. They gave us free extra large Conan shirts. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the show and hadn't eaten anything since breakfast (we went to a deli where they weigh your food to see how much you owe, like in Europe). By this point I was exhausted.

We met up with some other kids from MUN and decided we wanted to go out to dinner. I suggested we go to Cafe Lalo (famous for its desserts and for being in You've Got Mail) Upon arriving at Cafe Lalo we realized that it was mostly a dessert place and didn't serve a hot dinner. So we went to a little Italian Restaurant we saw on the walk from the subway. Celeste I believe it was called. This is the best choice we made the whole trip. A women asked us on her way out of the restaurant, "How did you guys find this place? Tourists usually don't know about it. Only New Yorkers usually come here." That was good enough for us. I ordered the almond crusted chicken. It was one of the best meals I have ever had in my entire life. It was tender and full of flavor. The best part about this place, though, was the owner. He was this colorful Italian guy who went around and talked to the people at each table. He took the lemon on my plate and spritzed it on my chicken and he told me I had to put my salad on top of the chicken. He was so involved in every one's meals, it was so great. The world needs more friendly restaurant owners. After dinner we went back to Lalo's for dessert. I ordered the flowerless chocolate cake and let me tell you, this was not a dessert, it was an experience. I couldn't think of anything else while eating it. If you ever go to NYC don't go to Serendipity, go here.

Monday in New York was a great day. If I had to live a day over, and over and over again, it might be this one.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

You saw Dwight? You're my hero. What an incredible day! Now I'm hungry for almond chicken.

TOUGHBEAR said...

I just need you to know that I was in New York that very same day and I actually was a couple feet from Rainn Wilson outside of the NBC studios and we smiled at each other and it was quite blissful. I just needed to tell you that...now it's off my chest! have a good day!