Dear Nina's Original New York Style Pizzeria and Juice bar,
I felt bad when that little photo store went out of business but then became excited when I heard that there was a new Pizzeria/juice bar opening. Every day this summer I walked past your window and watched as you tore out counter tops, repainted the cement walls, and put up "now hiring" signs. It looked like you weren't going to be ready to open in time for the fall semester and the thousands of students then swarm Provo at the start of September, but to my surprise your red and blue open sign blinked on at the end of August.
Well, I finally made it in for for lunch today and I have to say that I was only kind of impressed. Sure, I'm not an expert restaurant reviewer but I have eaten a lot of pizza, including New York Style pizza in NYC, so I know a good slice when its in front of me.
The premise is interesting enough. You start with a piece of Sicilian pizza(if I'm right, Sicilian basically means a paper thin layer of sauce and cheese on a crispy crust) and then let the customer add as many toppings to it as they want. You pop-it into your huge impressive oven and warm it for three minutes then serve it on a piece of aluminum foil. I ordered one slice with one topping of breaded eggplant, my favorite. And let me tell you, the flavor was good, especially after I sprinkled my slice with the imported parmesan you pulled out of the fridge for me. But as I ate, the bits of eggplant (still cold) that dotted my slice, kept on falling off due to the fact that they were not surrounded by cheese, but rather just plopped on the top like a crouton on a salad. "Why didn't you order extra cheese?" you may ask. My reply? You already charged me $3 for the slice plus $.50 for the eggplant and $.50 for the parmesan and I plan to someday send my kids to college and this plan does not include spending $4.50 on a slice of pizza when I can go a block down to the Little Caesars and buy a hot and ready pepperoni pizza for $5.00 and feed my whole apartment. Geez. What a question.
Finally, I will quickly touch on decor. Inside: boring. Outside: tacky.
I'm sorry Nina's, I really don't want you to go out of business. There is nothing that hurts my heart more than when a small business closes down. But I'm just saying, you might want to clean up your act a bit. Lower your prices, give out cheese for free, and you might make it a little longer than the Western Burger on 900 E.
Yours Sincerely,
solidcommagirl
4 comments:
ok. that was the best thing i have read all day.
I love how we both feel guilty when a local establishment goes under. We must be sisters or something!
Isn't that the beauty of capitalism. If the little guy figures it out, the sky is the limit. If they can't produce a profit they go bye bye. Then we as consumers don;t have to put up with quite as many crappy goods.
I am laughing hysterically right now. Please really give that letter to them. PLEASE.
Post a Comment