Saturday, January 05, 2008

You and Me and everyone we know.

"To lead a life without shame, to be able to visit and entertain one’s friends, to keep track of what is going on and what others are talking about, and so on, requires a more expensive bundle of goods and services in a society that is generally richer and in which most people have, say, means of transport, affluent clothing, radios or television sets, and so on... The same absolute level of capabilities may thus have a greater relative need for incomes (and commodities)."
-Amartya Sen

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

You always were the smarter sister, obviously because you understood this quote and I didn't. we will talk later and you can dumb it down for me.

Evan said...

Hey Marce, I just remembered that I was going to send you Microsoft Office. Do you still need it and if so how do i get it to you. Let me know.

Unknown said...

What do you think about this quote, Marcilyn? I have heard so much about you, but haven't really gotten to share ideas in words with you yet.

I guess commodities and goods and materialism is how the affluent societies define themselves today. Yet, many of them lack the social skills or even the desire that it takes to really understand their neighbor.

I remember walking through a favela in Brazil and seeing two women having one of the most intense and beautiful conversations I have ever seen two people having. They weren't checking their cell phones, they weren't dressed in Dior, the didn't have anything to rush off to, they were just rejoicing in the spirit and beauty of the person in front of them. It's one of my favorite memories from my time there and I asked if I could take their picture. They were kind and they smiled up at me and that image that was captured is one I return to again and again.

It's hard to feel that important to someone when they are surrounded by things....but that's too Marxist for such a snowy afternoon, so I won't get into that!

I miss England!

Unknown said...

By the way, thanks for visiting my blog today, it was a delight to get a comment from you!

Marcilyn said...

D'arcy - Thanks for the comments. I wish you could be here enjoying England with me.

I discovered this quote when I was writing a paper on happiness as a development goal and I really liked it. There has been research done in developed countries that tries to link income to happiness, and they found that after basic needs are met, it does not matter how much a person's income increases, their happiness will stay the same.

Many people think that once they have that new car or big house they will be happier, but unfortunately there is always going to be a guy with a better car and a bigger house and so if a person tries to find happiness through material wealth,it will always elude them. They will always need more.

Sadly, our craving for more goods is hurting the earth and people in the developing world. But what is it going to take to change our ways?