Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Times They Are a Changin'

So, I was thinking tonight about my plans for the weekend, and so of course I looked on Facebook to see what event invitations I had received, what my friends were planning on doing etc.  I saw that the Pennyroyal Cafe was opening on University this Friday and thought that would be fun.  Then I saw that no fewer than 280 were planning on attending.  Whoaaaaa

Remember Giff's Corner and Vermillion Skies?  Remember how their little soirees would pull maybe 50-60 people?

Moving on to my Saturday night plans I thought maybe it would be nice to see my friend Christopher's band play.  Then I saw that 70 people on Facebook had confirmed they were going, and its a house show!

Now I'm sure the new interest in downtown Provo, by like, everyone,  is really good for the businesses there and its great people want to listen to good music, but gosh.  I'm not trying to sound pretentious, but I miss the days when house shows, dance parties and cafe openings in Provo were intimate events where you saw people you wanted to see and didn't have to worry about elbow space.  I'm not saying I will not attend these events, cause they sound like fun and I probably will, but the body count has definitely got me thinking.  

Am I just being nostalgic about the past?  Can someone else who has been in town 4+ years back me up on this? 

4 comments:

Rob said...

yeah. I feel like everyone in provo is playing in a band, dressing like they live in new york, doing drugs, and opening up an art club/restaurant/venue.....blow hards! Get out of that place!

lissa said...

yeah i back you up. i miss the good old days. this is why you should move to salt lake!

Kate said...

Business is business, i guess. Hey, more dudes for you to hook it up with, right? Hum... no, probably less.

samsam said...

whisper* amen.