Alright, so for my most recent adventure I spent a couple of days in Edinburgh, Scotland with my friend Dan from Leeds. I really is a gorgeous city with lots of great architecture. I didn't filter the pictures very much, so here is a lot of pictures
From the train, the rapeseed plants are all blooming right now and it reminds me of the yellow brick road.
Robert Blake. I'm sure I read something of his in my Survey of British lit but heck if I can remember what it was.
There were lots of late 19th century imperialist statues and it really got me in the mood to go to Africa. j/k.
These knights were guarding the entrance to Edinburgh castle and they reminded me of that knights who guards the holy grail on Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Wait, that so was not his last crusade. liars.
A nazi flag captured by the Scottish troops! I had never seen a nazi flag hanging anywhere until now. Very interesting experience.
This is graffiti from prisoners at the Castle during the revolutionary war. Apparently Scotland was on our side? Do you see the American Flag?
Finally a picture of stained glass that turned out. I think St. Margaret knew how important it was to me.
Courtesy of a woman from Vancouver. I saw more people from America and Canada from this trip than I have in the last eight months in England. Can you say tourist destination?
I thought this kind of captured the spirit of Edinburgh. A church door with concert fliers on it. The archaic along side the hip. The reverent with the raucous.
Dinner at The Taff. This was just my starter. Baked Camembert. It was so good. Way better than my main course of haddock. Why did I let them take it away before I had eaten it all. Why?!
This is a statue dedicated to an amazing little dog. I don't have time to tell the story now but you can go here to learn about the Greyfriar's Bobby.
This is me playing sartorialist for the clowns. Seriously, who leaves the house like this. I guess this guy.
Our second day in Edinburgh we decided to climb to Arthur's Seat which is at the top of a hill overlooking the city and is located in a park just southeast of the city center.
Later that day we decided to visit the National Museum and figured out that it is also a science museum!
Okay, this is a funny little discovery. This is actually dolly, the first cloned sheep. Can you believe it? They stuffed her and stuck her in the Edinburgh museum. Apparently she was cloned right outside of Edinburgh.
8 comments:
ska land.
I totally thought the exact same thing about the holy grail knight look alike! how funny! and yes. they are liars.
I've realized I need you in my life more than i ever thought i did before, serious. I miss you.
Ps. I like seeing you in pictures--you are prettier than all the places in the world!
I really enjoyed your commentary and photos. I was just in Edinburgh on Sat. and Sun and it was actually sunny! I think the story of Greyfriar's Bobby is so precious too!
Sorry you didn't have the best time in Glasgow. I agree with you about it being dirty and I wish we could have been around to have you over and show you some cool places that we enjoy. Edinburgh is definitely the main tourist attraction but there are some treasures here like the botanic gardens, Ashton Lane and tons of fringe art happenings. We'll show you Glasgow west end style. :0)
Cammie
PS. When we arrived in Scotland and took our taxi to our flat I totally could not understand what our driver was saying. Luckily, Jason had been here longer and understood...and then there's the Glaswegian dialect.
I liked your comment about the church with fliers on it too. I've see quite a bit of church gone pub. We walk by this beautiful church a lot and at Christmas time I always wondered why there was this big poster of Santa with some sassy ladies around him on the wall. Then, I was enlightened. . . OK, hope I haven't bored you. Your blog is great. Ciao.
jealous of your europe photos. i was there last year at this time, such great memories. you must be patient to upload all those pics, or have a fast internet connection.
ok. that's great that you are traveling all over the world. but we still need some posts. UPDATE NOW!!!
Post a Comment