Monday, July 10, 2006

la Copa Mundial 2006

Well, I've decided that the World Cup brings more heartache than happiness in the long run. What was I to expect from a game with so much passion. But it really was fun following along with the madness. Unfortunately, The Cup will not be on for another four years ( Veron pointed out that I will be 26 next time I watch the world cup, yikes!) and so for the next four years I will mull over the memories of this World Cup. Here they are, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

1. England's first game against Paraguay. I got up to watch it at 7:00 in the morning to watch it, totally worth it. Beckham bent it, winning the game for England

2. The fact that the Ivory Coast halted years of civil war because their team qualified for the World Cup. Is soccer the answer to world peace?

3. Michael Owen's injury. I was at work and had to read the live commentary of the Sweden game at bbc.co.uk. I had to read that my favorite striker was crawling off the pitch. heartache. And I totally had to rearrange my online fantasy team.

4. Telling my boyfriend (not a soccer fan) that I couldn't go camping with him because i had to watch the England- Portugal match at 9 am on Saturday morning. I'm a bad girlfriend.

5. The many disappointments of the Portugal game. Beckham leaving the pitch early, then crying on the sidelines. Rooney stepping on a Portuguese player in a very inappropriate place and then pushing Ronaldo. Seriously, what was he thinking. I think he really let down his teammates and his country. Then to see the players crying at the end. heartbreak.

6. Penalty kicks at the end of the game. What the heck? Who thought of this terrible way to decide the winner. It's like deciding the winner of a monopoly game by playing rock, paper scissors.

7. Zidane. Further proof that the French are evil.

8. The Italians prancing around in their underwear after they beat France. It's the World Cup so its not pervy.

9. One last thing. Michael Ballack

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah Germany. yeah football. yeah Marcilyn!