Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Best Pioneer Day Ever

"Squeaky swings and tall grass, The longest shadows ever cast, The water's warm and children swim, And we frolicked about in our summer skin. "
- Ben Gibbard



No, seriously Pioneer Day was such a good day. I didn't wake up to an alarm and rolled out of bed around 9:30. Nothing says Pioneer day like a morning movie. I ate some strawberry Honey Bunches of Oats then watched the new Pride and Prejudice. This was the first time I had watched it since I saw it in the movie theater and I liked it a lot more this time. The first time I saw it I couldn't stop comparing it to the BBCs six hour adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. This time I was able to appreciate the director's choices so much more and I really noticed the beautiful cinematography. But I still think Colin Firth will never be outdone as Mr. Darcy.

After the movie goodness, I went with my friend Liz and Co. to a natural waterslide in Alpine. The day was so hot and the water was so cool, it was a bit like nirvana. This was the second time all summer I had spent time in the sun (not joking) and therefore I got a bit of a sunburn on my back, but it was worth it. We ate a late lunch at Bajio's. I was impressed by their burrito clasico because it wasn't a complete rip off of Cafe Rio but it still was full of mexican numiness.

After all the fun at the water slide, I came home and took a nap. Thats right, I slept in and took a nap on the same day. Thats how I remember the pioneers.

But the fun was not over yet! After the nap, I went to a barbeque held by my friend Ellen. Highlights: chocolate chip pumpkin cookies, sitting on the cool grass, the little girl who walked up and asked if we were celebrating the pioneers, too cute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My aunt tried to get the day off work out here by telling her boss that Pioneer Day is a religious holiday.

My boss is my brother-in-law, so he didn't really go for that trick either.