I have recently had a coincidence with the word vega.
It's a three parter.
1st Part --While home for Christmas I started wondering what vega meant in the Spanish language and wondering why Las Vegas is so called. Then I overheard my brother and Mother wondering the same thing. They both speak Spanish fluently but still could not remember what vega meant. Someone suggested that it meant sticks but we lost interest and never looked it up.
2nd Part-- While flipping through channels last night, I paused for a minute to watch a show on E! about this years hottest stars. I turned to it just as they were spotlighting Paz Vega, of Spanglish fame. They explained that in Spanish her first name means peace and just as they said what her last name meant my roommate started talking to me and I didn't hear it.
My curiosity had finally gotten to me and I looked up vega in my beat up Spanish English dictionary. I encountered this definition:
ve·ga f. (tierra baja y fértil) fertile lowland (Cuba) tobacco plantation (Chile) swampy or marshy terrain
3rd Part-- Shortly after looking up this definition, I left with my roommate Veron to a Christmas tree burning party. While there, I overhead a group of people stargazing and they said that they saw Vega in the sky. It was then that I thought that maybe I was in the middle of a coincidence.
Here is what Wikipedia had to say about vega:
Vega (α Lyr / α Lyrae / Alpha Lyrae) is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra, and the fifth brightest star in the sky. It is the second brightest star in the Northern night sky, after Arcturus, and can often be seen near the zenith in the mid-northern latitudes during the Northern Hemisphere summer.
Wikipedia also had a whole list of when Vega has been mentioned in science fiction, but i will only list my favorite.
In Robert A. Heinlein's novel Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, Vega hosts the planet of an advanced civilization which is the local representative and overseer of the Three Galaxies federation, and the curator of humanity after its discovery by the Three Galaxies.
So, pretty much this is my coincidence. If you know any reason why I should be worried (or overjoyed) about this coincidence, let me know.
No comments:
Post a Comment