I went and saw Iron & Wine last night and loved it. Its amazing that such a large sound can come out of one man and his acoustic guitar. I was standing about 20 feet back from the stage with some friends and because the Gallivan Center stage is so low and I am so short, I couldn't see anything.
Me: Is it just Sam Beam up there?
Garrett (my tall friend): Yes, that's so sad that you don't know that.
Literally, couldn't see a thing, but enjoyed it all immensely, especially the Trapeze Swinger, when at minute 5 of the song, I looked around and not a single person was moving or talking, just staring at the stage, in this trance, mesmerized by what they were hearing.
But on to the real reason I stopped by the old blog today. On the way home from the show I heard "Sentimental Lady" by Bob Welch on the radio. I had completely forgotten about this song and how lovely it is. The first time I heard it was when I saw Autumn Defense at Velour a couple years ago. They played a cover of it for their encore and it was SO GOOD. The guitar is amazing. The lyrics even better. I declare it one of the best songs ever written. In my quarter life I am falling in love with classic rock/adult contemporary. Who would of thought.
For your listening pleasure:
Bob Welch Version
Autumn Defense Cover
And for good measure:
The Lyrics
You are here and warm
But I could look away and you'd be gone
Cause we live in a time
When meaning falls in splinters from our lives
And that's why I've travelled far
Cause I come so together where you are
And all of the things that I said that I wanted
Come rushing by in my head when I'm with you
14 joys and a will to be merry
And all of the things that we say are very
Sentimental gentle wind
Blowing through my life again
Sentimental Lady
Gentle one
Now you are here today
But easily you might just go away
Cause we live in a time
When paintings have no color, words don't rhyme
And that's why I've travelled far
Cause I come so together where you are
And all of the things that I said that I wanted
Come rushing by in my head when I'm with you
14 joys and a will to be merry
And all of the things that we say are very
Sentimental gentle wind
Blowing through my life again
Sentimental Lady
Gentle one
You are here and warm
But I could look away and you'd be gone
Cause we live in a time
When meaning falls in splinters from our lives
And that's why I've travelled far
Cause I come so together where you are
Yes and all of the things that I said that I wanted
Come rushing by in my head when I'm with you
14 joys and a will to be merry
And all of the things that we say are very
Sentimental gentle wind
Blowing through my life again
Sentimental Lady
Gentle one
Sentimental gentle wind
Blowing through my life again
Sentimental Lady
Gentle one
Sentimental gentle wind
Blowing through my life again
Sentimental Lady
Gentle one
Well sentimental gentle wind
Blowing through my life again
Sentimental Lady
Gentle one
I love how he talks about someone who comes in and out of his life and every time they are there he is happy, even if they are going to leave again.
Anyways, Marcilyn out.
2 comments:
Marce,
You have great taste in music. I love it. Can't wait to hang out again.
Grant.
PS. This is a GREAT POST. I keep coming back. Love it.
Post a Comment