Monday, August 14, 2006

The Queen of Public Transportation

Every morning I take the bus to work and get off at a stop about a block before my work. Last Friday when I got on the bus, my bus driver struck up a conversation with me and asked me where I worked. "At the Brewster Building?" he asked. I said yes and he said he could drop me off right in front of my work. I was taken aback by such a kind gesture but accepted and I was saved the five minutes it takes me to get from the bus stop to work. And guess what? This morning he did the same thing! Dropped me off right in front of the steps of my work. And there were other people on the bus! If, like me, you use the bus system on a regular basis you know that bus drivers are not always so accommodating. They are known to do evil things like drive off when they see you running for the bus stop or snap at you for not getting your bus pass out fast enough. So you see why I am amazed at his willingness to give me door side service. The only problem is that I feel like I should be giving back to him somehow. Like I should be extra friendly to him when I get on the bus and ask him how his morning is going. This could get out of hand and pretty soon the bus driver will be asking me to do favors for him, like the mafia. I don't know, maybe I shouldn't look the gift horse in the mouth and enjoy this extra service while I've got it.

No comments: